The Engineering Team Lead is responsible for leading, developing, and managing the staff that develops, supports, and maintains technical solutions within the technology directorate. The Engineering Team Lead role includes system development, deployment, integration, and management.
The Engineering Team Lead is the contact point for all team members, so their communication skills should be excellent. The Engineering Team Lead should also be able to act proactively to ensure smooth team operations and effective collaboration. Ultimately, The Engineering Team Lead should lead by setting a good example and engaging the team to achieve goals.
The Engineering Team Lead Responsibilities:
- Keep up to date with the latest trends and technologies in software in order to ensure that best practices for quality software development and testing methodologies are followed
- Work with Product Managers, Project Leads, and Engineers to ensure that business requirements have been turned into technical requirements with clear technical specifications and work with your team to identify and implement those specifications
- Act as a mentor to Software Engineers and ensure they have everything they need to do their best work
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the team
- Engage in recurring 1-on-1s with team members and support their development through regular coaching and mentorship
- Prepare and carry out annual performance reviews and 6-month check-ins for team members
- Support Engineers effectively by identifying and unblocking the team, continually looking for ways to improve team efficiency and productivity
- Review implementation plans with the team
- Participate in architectural design, review, and implementation of production-quality features
- Work with Project Leads to establish timelines for the completion of the project and facilitate technical estimation by either doing technical estimation directly or supporting a team member’s effort
- Triage incoming bugs and tickets for the team and ensure triaged bugs get into sprints
- Be on call for support as needed—these are rotating, low-impact shifts
The Engineering Team Lead Requirements:
- Have solid experience leading and providing mentorship to a technical team, with a background in software development
- Demonstrate a history of accountability for technical projects and an understanding of how to make projects successful
- Feel comfortable in a room full of engineers—you can speak their language!
- Be experienced delivering project updates to a range of stakeholders and working with user feedback to inform and optimize projects
- Have a servant-leader mentality—you believe great leaders need to focus on the growth and well-being of their team members to be successful!
- Be responsible for giving feedback to others to help improve their performance (and be receptive to receiving feedback from others)
- Believe that writing tests as part of a feature is not just a nice to have, but is necessary
- Demonstrate experience using version management tools such as Git with Git Flow
Engineering Team Lead – USA & Canada
Looking to hire a Engineering Team Lead? Take a look at our Job Descriptions Board. RemotoWorkforce links USA or Canadian Companies with Mexican talent. How our Remote Hiring Process Works?